Thursday, March 17, 2016

The taste of memories


Fresh cool sour cream and red sweet strawberries mixed in a bowl, red and white, cold sweetness exploding in my mouth.

Rolled dough my mom just made, soft and puffy to the touch, I roll it into long pale snakes, raising a cloud of white dust. We cut them with the sharp knife, then throw into the boiling water. Rolled in sweet bread crumbs they turn, light brown and gold, sweet and tender.

Fried Hanukkah jam filled doughnuts; I carefully cut into circles with the edge of a glass.
 The flat dough patties sizzle and puff up throw an aroma blend of dough and frying oil.  Filled with red jam, hot and sweet, They split open in my mouth.

Memories of food like treasure boxes,
I pick the lids and out they erupt,
Red and white and golden brown
I can taste them in my mouth.


No comments:

Post a Comment